Monday, September 9, 2013

Blog Ice Breaker--Why do you give to United Way?

Rallies, special events, campaign meetings it's all a blur...There's so much excitement and support for the campaign it's a great feeling to be part of a community effort with everyone working toward the same goal, $18.1M.  

So, I was at a rally the other day and the campaign manager asked her team, "Why do you give?"  And in the typical round robin fashion, the answers started...
  • "Because I love my community."
  • "There are so many people in need and the United Way does a great job getting resources to where they are most needed."
  • "Because the efforts are research-based and measured."
  • "Because United Way and Hospice helped my family when my mother was dying."
Since I was a guest at the rally, my answer came last.  And, I really had to-do some soul searching before my turn came around. So why do I give and volunteer?  

Because I can.  

Living and working in Dane County-I've enjoyed a great life!  Married for 34 years, 2 awesome kids, career at a great company, I'm close to my family and have some of the best friends in the world.  My kids have never gone to bed hungry, went to school without proper school supplies and always had a place to call home, bring their friends and tackle homework.   
The Fam
(Gary "Zib", Me, Katie, Robby)
Currently, 2,100 Dane County at-risk families are maintaining stability due to United Way's housing strategies. United Way's Housing First places these families into permanent housing quickly, then provides targeted services to address issues like budget coaching. Housing first has an 80% success rate keeping families how have been homeless settled in permanent housing.

So, I give and volunteer because I can and because I would hope that if I were ever in need that someone in the community would Take Action and help change my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment